Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Back and Forth to Cape Cod



Here is our camping spot in Wompatuck State Park. It's a very nice location, clean and quiet, and a great place to take the dogs. Yesterday, Helen and I drove down the Cape to pick up her Aunt Marie and take her up to Braintree to see Charlie Harrington. For those who don't know the history, Aunt Marie and her late husband, Bill, had Helen stay with them one summer when she worked on the Cape. They have been a continued source of inspiration to those of us who consider it a treat to spend time on Cape Cod, particularly in the old days when it was much less populated. Charlie's late wife, Ellen, was my mother-in-laws cousin and they were always close.

Helen and I would spend a lot of time on the Cape courtesy of these people and we regard them very highly. The Harringtons had a cottage right on a lake in Dennis and even had an "authentic" Finnish Sauna. Charlie's Irish, but when you marry a Finn...... Charlie is now 95, but his spirit has not declined a bit.

We had a very nice visit, and all too soon it was time to return Marie to the Cape.
Charlie was moist eyed as we parted. Helen and I will try to do this again as we pass by on our way south.

I've contacted some of my cousins and we're going to meet at some restaurant Thursday afternoon. I'll have more to say later.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment