Monday, July 13, 2009

Busy around Yarmouth

We've been having a grand time in and around Yarmouth. We visited the Cape Forchu lighthouse. Watched the CAT ferry come into port, and later leave. Of course we did some shopping and went out to dinner.

From Cape Forchu

From Cape Forchu

From Cape Forchu
From Cape Forchu

From Cape Forchu


Today we went to an Arcadian restored village and had a very good time chatting with the people there. It's run a bit like Plimouth Plantation, with the people in dress of the age, which was not too long ago for Arcadia. One woman we chatted with is the grand niece of the founder of this area and she gave us an excellent presentation. Everything is working, so the kitchens are operating. We had molasses cookies at the first house, but the woman was already working on more food for the "staff". In a second home split pea soup was in the works.

I couldn't help but feel a little aged myself as I recognized a stove similar to the one my parents had when I was a kid. I also recognized the treadle sewing machine and the wind-up Victrola.

Later we talked with a man who gave us a lot of information about boat building and lobster traps. He showed me how to build a lobster trap and even gave me some netting to use. A demonstration of an early gasoline engine was very interesting as well as the salt drying of cod and pollack. Salt cod is another thing I remember from my past.

From Acadia

From Acadia

From Acadia

From Acadia

No comments:

Post a Comment