Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Getting Closer to Vacation

Well, Helen and I are getting closer to our vacation every day. There is a lot of stuff to pack and we are taking our time, making sure we have everything we need, and stowing it properly. The motorhome and Jeep are already to go with proper oil, grease and air in the tires. Of course it's never that easy.

A few days ago Helen came home from Crystal River and I could smell the sweet odor of antifreeze. This has occurred before and each time I raise the hood and look, but find no sign of coolant leak. I know it's happening because I have to add water from time to time, but I'll be darned if I could find the leak. This time was no different, at first. I opened the hood and looked over the engine. I could find no leak although the smell was stronger than ever. I got a flashlight in order to look more closely. Aha!!! The leak is under the intake manifold and the heat of the engine evaporates the water so it never gets a chance to drip on the floor. The good news is that I located the leak. The bad news is that all the stuff on the top of the engine has to come off to access the leak. More bad news is that the particular item is no longer available from Lincoln and is not available at a parts store either. The original part has to be sawed apart and replaced with a hose of the same diameter. That won't be too hard, but getting all the stuff off and back on properly will be quite a job. Too much to consider doing now. I'll put the Lincoln up on blocks for the duration of our trip and work on the car when we return. By then I'll be able to decide whether I will do the job myself or pay to have it done. A lot will depend on what money we will have available when we return.

OK, I've got to run to Wal-Mart for a few things and the pack some more stuff into the camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment