Friday, August 23, 2013

Another Mission for LRROF

 

I got a call last night about helping to move five Lab puppies from Georgia to New Port Richey, Florida. I met our Georgia contact, Cindy, at the usual spot near Alachua, close to Gainesville and we transferred the little rascals from the crate in her car to the crate in mine. I tried to get some pictures, but they were so active it was almost impossible.

IMG_2625 (Small)

This guy was the only yellow one in the litter. All his brothers are black. Although they have been through a lot, they were all very active and appreciated any attention. Little tails were wagging wildly from the time I picked them up.

IMG_2628 (Small)

This, of course is one of the blacks. They were all males because the breeder in Georgia only keeps the females from a litter. The males are sent to a shelter or worse.

IMG_2637 (Small)

I had little trouble with them on the trip south except for one who became a yelper from time to time. Also, about half way during the two hour trip someone did a mess in the corner of the cage and it became quite smelly in the car. There was no getting away from it so I breathed through my mouth the rest of the way.

 

IMG_2648 (Small)

When the dogs were picked up from some shelter a few days ago they were literally covered with fleas. You can see the white spots in the coat on this pup, but all the pups were full of scabby patches caused by all the fleas. The vet they were taken to had to give them each two flea treatments to stop the problem. I understand that the problem was so bad that the skin around their eyes was all swollen. I would hope that there is a place in Hell for someone who would allow this to happen.

IMG_2661 (Small)

When I got to New Port Richey, Lewis had our hands full giving all five pups a bath and placing them in a clean cage. Then we washed down my crate. The towels I had inside the crate ended up in Lewis’s trash. This guy seemed to have the most personality and he was the first chosen by foster parents. His life is about to improve immensely.

IMG_2664 (Small)

That’s Lewis on the right. The other couple are fostering two of the pups. They already have three Labs of their own, but still step in to help with the influx of more dogs. I meet some of the greatest people working with LRROF, Labrador Retriever Rescue Of Florida

With my crate all clean and placed in my Jeep, I headed home before the other people came to pick up the other three pups. It was 95 degrees out, but I drove with the windows open for about an hour. All in all, from my house in the morning to my return in the afternoon, I drove 250 miles. This has been a very busy season for Lab rescue. Most of the time there are happy endings. I brought in two dogs last week and one was adopted within two days and someone was there to look at the other one today. This is volunteering that really makes me feel good. Gotta give my three and extra cookie and an extra hug tonight.

 

Later.

5 comments:

  1. did your good deed for the day, everytime I see a black Lab pup you guys rescue, I think how that's what Rigg's looked like when we brought him home, and now look at the Moose.He is staying at 100 lbs, after losing better than ten lbs, looks good and all muscle. Mom is strictly enforcing his small cups of food and he is the better for it.We miss you all. Sam & Donna......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any breeder that would only keep one sex should be put out of business. that is absurd...don't know if I could do what you
    do..afraid I would become the crazy dog lady

    ReplyDelete
  3. those puppies are so darn cute!!! and as for the breeder?..well I have words for her that are not fit for print!
    have a great day Paul, you sure did your good deed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe there is some way to publicize these breeders and get info out to those who might buy dogs that originate at their facilities. Let buyers be aware that this is how these people operate. Let's try to put them out of business.........B

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I believe if Dante were alive today and rewriting the 'Inferno,' that the lowest places in hell would be reserved for those who commit cruelty to our animals and to our children," US Attorney George Beck said at a news conference.

    http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/dogfighting-crackdown-nets-12-arrests-in-4-states

    ReplyDelete