Monday, June 13, 2011

Things are not going WELL

It has been a couple of weeks since my crossing with the yellow jackets. The stings went away overnight, but I ended up with an itchy rash at each spot that lasted for over a week. According to information in the internet, I am apparently a little allergic to those stings, at least in that number. As a tot, back in the later 50s, we were spending a Sunday at a lake. We were somewhat bothered by the yellow jackets that were hovering around the food. Walking away from the family, I spotted a hole in the sand where the yellow jackets were entering and exiting. Aha!! I took a stick and jammed it in the hole. Well, not all the way in the hole and I was soon swarmed with the nasty wasps. I was told that I had over 50 stings on my upper body, but I survived, so I had no allergy then.

I'm still working on the trees every day, at least until it gets too hot. Though I cut the logs into smaller and smaller pieces, they are still so heavy and I have to make more cuts so the pieces are smaller. I put an ad in the paper for free firewood....cut into short sections need to be split. I got two replies and they both said they would be here the next day. No one has come, so I will just burn it all in the back yard.

Last week our main A/C unit failed. I did a quick check, but it was beyond my talents so a technician was called in. It was the low voltage transformer that powers the thermostat and the control circuits. It failed at night after it started to cool down, so it caused no discomfort. The bill was $204.00, but this is the first time we've had to have it repaired in 27 years.

A short while ago, at almost 11:00 PM, I decided to make myself a cup of decaf coffee. Surprise!!!! NO WATER!! My household A/C is water cooled, so no water=no A/C. I heated bottled water in the microwave to make my coffee. With the pool just outside one bathroom door, we have 30,000 flushes available. I've been down this road before and I have the tripod and tools to remove the well pump and install a new one. Lowe's is open at 7:00 AM and I bet I'll have water by 10:00 AM. I noticed that the pressure switch is looking pretty bad, so I'll replace that at the same time. I will take some pictures of my rig. Who knows, they might spur someone else into doing it themselves. I SHOULD have more to say tomorrow.

I will ensure that the breaker to the well is open so there will be no chance of getting hurt.

We were supposed to be in Nova Scotia now. It is fortunate that we were home for the first summer in many years. With a failure of the A/C or the well, it would mean that the house would be without A/C for the summer and we would get back in September to be greeted by a moldy house with mildew everywhere. How lucky can you get?

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Boy looks like you have your work cut out for you I don't think the wells in Florida are as deep as ours but it is still a back breaker. Have fun, and don't overdue, get someone as a helper. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete