Thursday, September 15, 2011

Starting to get the rig ready to roll.

A few days ago I moved the motorhome to my main driveway, up to the garage, so I can do some of the maintenance that is required. It's time to change the antifreeze, so the first thing I did was purchase five gallons of CAT concentrated antifreeze and five gallons of distilled water. Tuesday, I drained and flushed the coolant system and yesterday I took the old antifreeze to recycling. I was paranoid about leaving it around the garage too long. Even though it was secured, I was afraid that somehow the dogs would tip it over or somehow get into it. The antifreeze tastes sweet and animals love it. Unfortunately, it leads directly to kidney failure and there is nothing a vet can do to save the animal. It's gone and I'm happy....or I should be happy.

Today I am attempting to change out the two thermostats. I'm working on a rear diesel and the engine is under the bed. I opened that up yesterday and prepared to enter the underworld beneath the bed. As luck would have it, I'm still having some problems from the fall I took a couple of months ago. My right knee sometimes feels great and sometimes it hurts something awful. The last two days it's been in the awful stage. I've had enough with the knee and I have an appointment with the knee and joint doctor, but not until September 28th. I want the motorhome done NOW, so I'm crawling into the hell hole with some effort. The six bolts holding the thermostat housing are off, but the housing is stuck to the block. Since I had to come up for air, and another tool or two, I thought I'd take the time to write and have another cup of coffee. Of course, this is just a delaying tactic.

I'm fortunate to have my Journey, rear diesel on a Freightliner chassis. Once I raised the bed and removed the access panels, there's plenty of room to work in the engine compartment, even for a fat, old, uncoordinated duffer like me. I have a large drop cloth folded over many times and it's very comfortable down there. Perhaps I should leave a note for Helen in case I get so comfortable and fall asleep. Either that or my knee gives out again and I'm stranded in there.

I BELIEVE that once the coolant is changed I'll only have a couple of small things to do to have the camper ready to roll. It has a fresh oil change, fuel filter, and grease job. That's about it until something else surprises me.

Since Helen is doing her volunteer work at the hospital today, I'm also working on supper. Cheese raviolis and a mushroom sauce with sweet Italian sausages. Um! Um! It will take the place of those Pennsylvania pizzas. OK, Sam?



  1. Wish I had a picture of those Ravioli's do you make them from scratch or buy them already done? My Mom & Grandma used to make the macaroni's and Raviolis from scratch rolling them out with a long skinny roller. The Ravioli's were cut about 3 inches square and always had just a touch of mint added the Spaghetti's and then hung on a wooden rack like you would hang clothes on to dry and harden. Di I go through all that work, no, I buy mine frozen. I'm down to about 4 of those PA. frozen shells so I will have to start making the crust from scratch. Next trip to PA I will bring back a couple of cases like I did this time.Be careful crawling around that motor, I am feeling my age to now when it comes to making repairs I used to routinely do.Say hi to Helen and the girls for us. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna....

  2. Hope you got the thermostat changed out without a problem or having Helen call 911 for a missing person. Glad to hear that all the maintenance is coming along. Hoping we will be able to meet up somewhere over the winter.

    Kevin and Ruth